National Taco Day is October 4, so I decided to make some easy sweet potato tacos using ingredients from Trader Joe’s. I actually used mini organic Mission brand tortillas, but you can use Trader Joe’s regular size corn tortillas. This recipe is easy since it features Trader Joe’s Cowboy Caviar, which has corn, black beans, red bell peppers, onions, jalapeño peppers, and other spices.
Prep Time: 20 minutes; Cook Time: 30 minutes; Total Time: 45 minutes; Yield: 2 servings
- 2 cups sweet potato chunks (about 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into ¾ inch slices, which are then cut into quarters)
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil (enough to coat the pieces)
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 mini corn tortillas or 4 regular size tortillas
- one half avocado, diced
- 4-6 Cilantro sprigs
- Roast the sweet potatoes: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Put the chunks of sweet potatoes in a baking pan or baking sheet and toss with the olive oil, paprika, cayenne (optional), and salt. The potatoes should be arranged in a single layer. Cook for 30 minutes,mixing halfway through to cook evenly, until tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking, wash the cilantro and dice the avocado.
- When the potatoes are done, heat the tortillas over a low gas flame or on a comal (flat griddle used to cook tortillas) or a large dry skillet (don’t add oil).
- Place some of the Cowboy Caviar on each tortilla, add about 8 sweet potato chunks for each of the mini tortillas, then top with avocado chunks and cilantro sprigs. If you like your tacos spicier, you can add some salsa, such as Trader Joe’s Hatch Valley Salsa.